Saturday, January 7, 2012

Downtown.

Yesterday, Saturday I ventured downtown all by myself. which is for me, going out of my "box" as independent as I think I am, I usually always like to have someone else with me whenever I go out but yesterday I proved to myself that I could explore all on my own. I had a wonderful day just to me to see all the new sights of Melbourne. There is a city circle trolly that is free so I hopped on board and rode down to Federation Square. I found myself walking past all these little cafes, boutiques and bars. By alleys filled with beautiful graffiti which makes me think about the people who created the artwork and why they painted what they did. I went to the Ian Potter Center NG Australia which is an art museum that represents Australian artists. As I walked past the beautiful paintings I started talking to a man and he informed me that the reason why the earliest artwork was so dark as in color was because the Europeans who came over were still painting with an european eye. They had a different twilight then the Australia. So when I continued to move forward I saw the painting become lighter in color and also in attitude. I was so captivated by the beautiful colors. They had an exhibit from the aboriginals which I found so fascinating. They used earth colors of deep reds, browns, yellows and pure white. All the pictures are filled with millions of dots. The way they portrayed the land where they lived, the beginning of life and the end of life. I came across a wall full of shields that were used to show the different tribes and ranks. Things haven't changed, today people show their status with the things they own, houses or cars they have and the amount of money they make. In the end, they are all material things and don't go to heaven when you die.
I walked all over downtown taking in the beautiful sights, the incredible intricate churches, (went into the St. Paul Cathedral and it was so beautiful all of the artwork, I couldn't imagine the churches in Europe that are even more beautiful. I hope to see those in person as well : ) I had a glass of wine and tasty salad at an Italian restaurant on the river while I read my book. I enjoyed the time alone. I was so blown away at how much Melbourne reminds me of New York city with all the little nooks and hole in the walls full of restaurants. Here they have China town, little italy and discount stores. I walked past many people of different cultures, Asian, European, American, African, Indian basically people from all over the world. It is amazing that I saw more foreigners rather then "Australians" Everyone wants a chance to have the best life for them and their family and I guess they will go wherever they can provide that happiness.

Its a rainy sunday and I can't wait to go check out this church tonight. I am so excited to praise God for what he has done for me and where he has put me!

I start "work" on tuesday and can't wait to get into a routine. I know I will be going on plenty of walks with the girls.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week
<3
E


2 comments:

  1. Lovely Emily! Glad you are enjoying the sightseeing. Stay safe and good luck with your kids next week! --Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Miss Emily! You sound so happy. Anxious to hear about your first day with the kids. Talk to your dad today. I could tell in his voice how proud he is of you. Take care and God bless! XXOO kim

    ReplyDelete