Thursday, January 5, 2012

Convent.

Convent: a community of persons devoted to religious life under a superior.


The other day we went to the Abbotsford Convent. The grounds are beautiful full of color. It was abbandoned and now is a sanctuary for artists. There are several cafes on the grounds. We went to one where you "pay as you feel" it was delicious food as all their food is vegan. The mix of people who went through the line went from hipster to homeless. Such a mix of cultures as it is really a melting pot here, not just in the US. After we went just down the street to the Collingswood Children's Farm where we saw donkeys, ponies, peacocks, piglets & goats. Alicia & Annabel LOVED seeing all the animals and petting them. I saw Gods beauty as we walked along the grounds and I see why this is a place of inspiration for the local artists. 
St. Abbots Convent
Beautiful Grounds. 
Alicia got new rollerblades for her birthday back in August so we went down to the Melbourne Museum where they have a wonderful park, path and place to rollerblade. She zoomed by me loving every moment. The architecture of the museum was beautiful and the grounds were perfectly kept. Next to it was a big building similar to a convention center. The end of April is the flower and garden show which I am excited to go with Carol. The people watching is so good here since there is such a wide variety of people who live/visit Melbourne. Even tho the weather was at a perfect temperature I got a wonderful farmers tan : ) 



I met up with another Au Pair one night for drinks down on Brunswick St. It reminds me of Grand ave in Minnesota. Lots of bars, restaurants and shopping. She is from Germany and has been here for 3 months. It was so great talking to her and hearing her experience. I have to say that I could not be more blessed to have the family I am with. I know that God put me with this family for a reason. 

Yesterday we went to the Royal Botanical Gardens which made me giddy inside. First we stopped at the Shrine of Remembrance across the street. We toured inside and walked around the grounds. Azure day is similar to veterans day as it commemorates all the Australians who served in the wars. When you stood at the top of the stairs you could see the skyline of downtown. I forget that every place has their own way to celebrate the service men and women of their country. Makes me so thankful that I am able to travel here and other places because of those who are brave to fight for freedom. 
Alicia and I raced up these stairs. She won!

Cant wait to explore downtown
We then ventured over to the gardens. The "bush" which they call all the trees were tall and full grown. They had a children's garden area where Alicia and Annabel played in a little stream where all the other kids were splashing around. It was so crazy to see no young moms or dads there as I said before that most people here wait to have children in their 30's. As we walked through the paths there were beautiful flowers and colors. The green grass and trees met the light blue sky. We had a picnic by a "lake" where Alicia and I spotted turtles and lake eels (i would never swim in a place with eels) Carol and I have been having the most wonderful conversations and she told me that after we skyped for the first time they knew that I was the perfect fit and canceled all other interviews. That made me feel so comforted in knowing that this was meant to be. She has taught me so much already about their culture and the city. I have a feeling that I am going to bring the girls down to the Gardens often and even by myself. A perfect spot to spend time with God and reflect on what he has put in my life. As we walked back to the car we treated ourself to some sorbet. yummm.



We drove downtown seeing all the "malls" similar to Nicollet mall. There are so many places I want to go and see. So many different cuisines and shops that look so unique. Every street was packed with people either tourists or locals. We arrived at the Victorian Farmers Market which I was very excited to walk around. We unfortunately were an hour late and just catching some vendors who were closing up. The market is divided up into different sections. They have fruit and veggies which are very cheap compared to the grocery store prices. A meat and cheese section which we bought some delicious dips but will have to go back. The vendors had a huge variety of cheeses from all around the world and meats that I have never heard of. Then there were the typical "tourist souvenirs" that I walked past as Carol teased me about getting my I <3 Melbourne T-shirt, boomerang and kangaroo skin to bring home. I can not wait to come back down and walk around to see all the different produce and people. There are many Greek, Italian and Lebanese immigrants who have places at the market. It is so interesting to me to see where people come from and I can't wait to meet some people and ask them why they chose Melbourne. Their are so many different communities of people. I would love to experience a little part of each.

I have been eating very well as Carol is the most amazing cook. I have so much to learn from her. I tried Lamb for the first time on a very Greek salad. It was delicious. The wine here is amazing as it has so much more flavor and taste or should I say the local wine is. 

Behind our house there is a wonderful trail called the Koonung Trail. I took a walk last night and was filled with happiness as I realized how thankful I am and how much I am going to learn here. There is a beautiful stream that runs along the path. One way I could take the path all the way downtown but that will not be happening. I am so excited to be able to have a route to run along. 

Australian Lingo:
Pram = stroller
The Bottle Shop = Liquor store
Que = cash register
corriander = cilantro
cilantro = parsley
carpark = parking lot
petrol = gas

I love learning the different terms as I slowly see myself adding these new words into my vocabulary. 

Convent: a community of persons devoted to religious life under a superior.
I am craving a community here that shares my values and beliefs. I know in time God will bring me a community I just have to keep trusting him and praying that he will. I see more and more that having a community to share your life with helps define and mold who I am and my relationship with God. I am going to a Church this sunday and am praying that I can find somewhat of a community of people who are open to a relationship with me, to show me around & make me feel welcome for the next 6 months. 
I have been praying that God will show me my purpose while I am here. Show me where he wants to put me to show other people the joy and contentment I find in him. I am only hoping it will be within my floral passion. I am in no rush as this next 6 months is devoted to where he has put me. These 2 beautiful girls and 2 wonderful parents are one of my communities here in Melbourne.  

Hope everyone has had a wonderful week.
May God put a light in your life so you can share that with others.
Love,
E



No comments:

Post a Comment