Sunday, March 4, 2012

rain rain rain.

well its been 2 weeks since my last blog and I thought I would let everyone know what I have been up to here down under!

It was crazy hot last week/weekend so lets just say I was extra sweaty when I would walk to get Alicia from school. Hyperhydrosis is in full swing on those days : ) We went to our usual music class on tuesday and play group on wednesday! Since it was so hot on that friday, after Annabel and I picked up Alicia we walked to the local pool and cooled down in the water. Annabel LOVES the water and Alicia is already an amazing swimmer. Makes me so proud & makes me miss swimming SO much. She told me she wants to take lessons! Saturday I met up with another Au Pair and we went down to Brighton Beach to enjoy the sun and cool off in the ocean! We took the train back to the city, had some sushi then came across a irish pub. We hung out there and had a pint of guinness while we waited for our other friend. There was a rugby game so lots of cheering going on and lots of questions from us as to what was going on in the game. We talked with the bar tender for a while getting caught up on the difference between footie and rugby and how in Victoria its all about footie : ) I will have to get myself to a game in the next 4 months!! There was a greek festival going on and we got a free Chobani which made me happy because I miss that delicious yogurt : ) I got lost coming home since the bus stop was moved but thankfully Carol is the best and picked me up at the tram stop!! Monday it poured rain the WHOLE DAY and what better to do then watch the oscars! I loved all the beautiful dresses and made my list of movies to see. It was Alicias last wednesday having off of school so we spent the day together & went to the park. She amazes me at how well she can read and spell already! It is so much fun helping her and seeing how she is learning. Saturday I went and watched Alicia at little athletics which is track and field. It is so cute to watch all the kids do their races and run and scream (mostly just girls) Carol made her delicious lasagna for dinner which I stuffed my stomach full. Then I met up with a couple other au pairs as it was one girls last weekend here in Melbourne. We made it to a record 7 bars and we got home at 5am which is very very rare for me! We started out at P.J. O'reileys irish pub and had a pint of Guinness... delicious. Met a real guy from Ireland to which I would like to say I am loving all of the accents I am hearing. After that we ventured to Brunswick street which is just a little ways out of downtown but has tons of bars and restaurants. After going to 3 difference bars we went back downtown to Spice Market which is my favorite dancing club here. We all danced the night away and met 3 guys who had just come from a wedding.... and of course the reason we started talking was because I asked them why they were in matching suites and ties... They asked us if we wanted to go out and get a drink since the club was closing and we said why not! so we ventured to a bar which was open obviously till late and had SO MUCH FUN. They had a jukebox which was playing oldie throwbacks, played a game of pool which I will say its not my best game to play but hey its about having fun and making memories right?! We took tons of pictures and laugh a lot. It was honestly such a fun relaxing night and by the time we got home it was 5am. getting into bed never felt better : )
Franzi & I heading to Brighton Beach

Greek Festival                                        Brighton Beach

Anna-Lena, Me & Franzi at one of the 7 bars : ) 

saying what pocket it didn't go in : ) 

Today (Sunday) Carol took me Franzi and the girls to the Dandenong Ranges which are "mountains" about 45 minutes from the city. It was the most beautiful drive going up the mountain going past the little villages and seeing the houses tucked back into the beautiful & tall gum trees. It had a rainforest feel with the palm trees and giant trees. We stopped at a little town where we went into a few antique stores, gots some australian pies from the pie shop ( they were delicious and its an australian staple. Alicia got a meat pie and both Carol and I got a sweet potato pie. In Alicias words, "they are divine") We stopped in a toy store where Annabel and Alicia LOVED all the toys. I even got Anna and Lauren bday gifts : ) After we went to the William Ricketts Sanctuary which was this man who made scultures of aboriginal people who he met in his life. He placed these sculptures that were made out of clay then put into the rocks that were all through his yard when he lived there. They had so much detail and all of them had such realistic features. Their faces to made me feel like they all had so much on their minds and looks as if they were pondering very very hard about something. It was truly an amazing thing to see. 
Driving up to the town. super foggy & drizzly
Franzi & I after 3 hours of sleep : ) 

Love my Pretty girl
William Ricketts Sanctuary

Amazing sculptures in the rocks. 



He spent lots of time in central australia living with the aboriginals


tall gum trees
After, we found a cute cafe that was tucked back in the trees and got some coffee to warm up & get out of the rain. It was such a beautiful day even though it was filled with sprinkling rain but the sun decided to peak through on our way back home. It was yet again another perfect weekend in Melbourne. 

I have realized weirdly through all this sunshine and rain that there are always going to be the happy and sad days. I am having the most wonderful time here and experiencing to many new things. Everyday is not always going to be perfect or fun or happy or adventurous but what I am learning is to take everyday on day at a time. To see the beauty and joy in the little things and to be guided by God. These rainy days have been so good to just relax and think about life and what I have learned. Not everyday is going to be sunny and sometimes you need the rain to look back and be thankful for the memories. What I am thankful for is the changing of the weather : ) I cried for the first time since being here after I read an email from my sister. 
News from the family back home... My dad got a new job working for Neiman Marcus which is in Dallas so my parents will be moving to Texas : ) which I told my mom to keeps her eyes open for a cowboy for me!! Please pray that their house will sell fast and they will find a place to live in dallas. My sister and her family are going to California on the 9th and at the end of April they will be going to India & Nepal. Please pray that they raise enough money to go & that God guides them and keeps them safe. I finally talked to my cousin Kersti in Boise and just might be thinking to take a pit stop there for a couple days on my way back to the states : ) 

Still do not have a concrete plan of what & where I will be after Australia but its 4 months away... I have time and I know that no matter what God will guide me to where I am supposed to be : ) 

Hope everyone has a wonderful week. hope spring is right around the corner (fall for me : )

Oh and I am doing a relay for life 24 hour walk to raise money for cancer while I am out here. I will be doing this on the 24th of march with the church group here. I would appreciate and be so thankful if anyone who reads this would donate even if it is just $10. Any amount helps. Here is the link where you can donate money under my name! Thank You so much and please keep me in your prayers when the day approaches. 24 hours walking with a team will be a mental and physical challenge : ) at least I have been walking everyday! http://vic.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=413207&langPref=en-CA

With love whether its sunny or rainy,
E

1 comment:

  1. Ps. If you would like to donate click the link then go to the donate tab. I am in the State of Victoria. relay 2012. click the next button. then on the left side it says sponsor a team or individual. click that. then again state of victoria relay 2012 then insert Kew Student Residence for team name and the race location is Hawthorn Boroondara. Click on the team name link and it will bring you to our team page. Click my name and donate : ) Thank you SO MUCH

    ReplyDelete